Do you have property damage due to flooding? -

Do you have property damage due to flooding?

Pledge Your Commitment to Motorcycle Safety
April 17, 2018
Some of the Most Bizarre Things Thieves Have Ever Stolen
April 24, 2018

Do you have property damage due to flooding?

Upset couple sitting in a couch in the living room and calling insurance for home leaks

Flooding is impacting areas throughout B.C. SGI CANADA will do everything possible to work with you and your insurance broker, to help you through this difficult time.

Take care of yourself and your family to make sure everyone is safe. When you are able, contact your insurance broker to file your claim and begin the process.  If there are higher than normal claim volumes, we will assign additional adjusters for your area.

If you are unsure who your broker is or are unable to contact them, please contact SGI CANADA directly so that we may help direct your claim and coordinate with your broker.

You can contact us directly at:

SGI CANADA B.C. claims office
Daytime, weekdays: 1-877-435-1484
Evenings and weekends: 1-800-647-6448

Here is some more information about submitting a property claim.

Water Protection Coverage for homeowners

SGI CANADA offers Water Protection Coverage in flooding situations, in eligible areas. You may have this coverage in place on your home. You can speak to your broker to find out if you’re covered, or, if you’re unable to get ahold of them, contact us at the number listed above and we’ll check to see if it’s on your policy.

If you are evacuated, you may also be eligible for unexpected living expenses, including:

  • accommodations
  • fuel
  • meals
  • transportation costs

These costs can be covered up to a period of 30 days. Your coverage limit will depend on the value of your home. Please keep all your receipts during this period to submit if you decide to put in a claim. Your deductible would be subtracted from the amount of coverage you would receive.

If you’re staying with family or friends, you can also put in a claim. Talk to your broker or an SGI CANADA representative to find out more details for your circumstances.

Coverage for business owners

SGI CANADA also provides commercial Flood and Sewer Back Up Coverage.

SGI CANADA commercial property customers with Business Interruption Coverage (in addition to Flood), are eligible for coverage following damage to their property. This is not triggered by an evacuation; if damage should occur following the evacuation, the coverage would be maintained.

If you have questions about your coverage in the event of a flood, please contact your insurance broker. If you are unable to contact them directly, you can get information about your insurance policy for your business at:


Once you file your claim

While waiting to see an adjuster, take steps to protect your property from further damage or loss, but only if it is safe to do so.

SGI CANADA suggests that you:

  • Clean up as soon as possible. Seek professional advice from a disaster restoration company on how to clean up and take whatever reasonable steps you can to minimize further damage to your property.
  • Don’t throw anything out. Store damaged items in a reasonably safe place so the adjuster can see them when he or she arrives.
  • Have any appliances (including furnaces) that have come in contact with water checked by a qualified electrician, dealer or serviceperson before you use them.
  • Do not touch any electrical systems or panels until you know it is safe to do so, especially in wet or damp conditions.
  • Move damaged belongings to a dry area with good ventilation.

Property owners should keep track of cleaning expenses as they will be covered through an insurance claim. SGI CANADA also encourages customers to take photographs or video of their damaged property to give to their adjuster.

Extracted from ILSTV

WoodMar Insurance is a full service insurance brokerage licensed through The Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario. Offering Auto, Home, Business and Life Insurance serving Ontario and our surrounding area of Burlington, Oakville, Milton, Georgetown and Hamilton.